Sunday, November 16, 2014

Fountain Pens and Anxious Bird-Headed Schoolchildren


 One of the many things I like about Instagram is seeing the materials other people use. One that caught my eye this year and decided to try was fountain pens. I did a little Internetting, and - after discovering that the world of fountain pens is a vast, vast world about which enough wonderful things cannot be said - I came up with two I decided to try: the Lamy Safari, which I was able to get here in NYC at the lovely Fountain Pen Hospital, and the Hero M86, a Chinese calligraphy pen I got through the delightfully straightforwardly-named isellpens.com.

I spent a lot of time just fooling around with them, seeing what they and I might make together, which was fine, but which didn't result in drawings that were much out of my ordinary. Then one morning at Local 61, one of my semi-regular morning drawing spots, I came up with this run of anxious, bird-headed schoolchildren.

No idea where they came from, but for a while, the above drawing was the most-liked drawing I ever posted on Instagram.



No comments: