Monday, April 5, 2010

Hominid skulls at the Natural History Museum



A series of pretty quick, pretty rough sketches at the American Museum of Natural History. For some reason, the human evolution hall is almost completely unlit in many places. I could barely see the paper when I was drawing these, let alone the specimens I was trying to draw. In addition to the near-total darkness, they have some incredibly loud sound installations that are really distracting.




























I love this museum, but this particular exhibition design is a total nightmare. Next time I go, I'm bringing an iPod, noise-cancelling headphones and miner's helmet.

4 comments:

Karen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Karen said...

I recently bought a very cool headlamp, discounted, at sierratradingpost.com. I wonder if it would work for poorly lit drawing situations

Blake Harrington said...

Could i use your hominid skull drawings in a book I'm self publishing?

tim b said...

@Blake Harrington: Can you give me an idea what the book is? Usually OK with just a credit on these things (and could probably get you higher resolution scans). But I like to know the context my work will be appearing in...