Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Year-end moleskine review










Over the course of 2009, I've filled a couple of hundred pages standing at the end of the subway car drawing people's heads. Nothing compared to some of the sketchers out there, but enough to get a little repetitious sometimes. Ballpoint pen, manila paper... it really is just one head after another.









But when I'm having a good day of it, I see how much variety there is in that monotony... how really, really different every face is from every other face. Because I draw from my head so much, it's become really important to me to get this kind of observational work in.









I don't suppose any of these drawings will form a basis for a character in a book illustration, but collectively they've done a lot to expand my range. When I sit down to draw out of my head, there's a lot more in there because of this work.










So here's a little set of samples from the 2009 Moleskines. A few repeats from earlier posts, but not too many:

5 comments:

Brian Floca said...

Terrific.

tim b said...

Thanks! Many ballpoint pens gave the last full measure of their devotion for these...

Karen said...

Yes, ditto me "terrific."

Karen said...

Some of these folks look to be just on the brink of turning those eyeballs towards YOU... I'm curious about, when they do, what the level of interest or irritation is on their part. When I draw on airplanes and in coffeeshops I'm ever fearful that I'll have to interact with my subjects if spotted, so usually go for the 3/4 back view!

tim b said...

I'm a little surprised to say so, but I've basically never had someone confront me for drawing them in public. Maybe I'm especially stealthy (we know I have some experience at that), maybe it's just that if you're not physically anywhere near them, it's just too much bother to deal...