Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Moleskine Miscellany






















More moleskine drawings, fresh since the last time I posted from this sketchbook. The image below is a composite of OK bits from otherwise so-so pages.






















Since these are all starting to look too much alike, I decided to use today's session (laundry day, so street drawing) to try some new materials:






















The ink I've been meaning to try forever; the brush pen is something James Gurney talked about on his blog a while back and which looked interesting and convenient (he uses it with clear water when doing watercolor, which I also want to try at some point). My maiden effort was kind of a mess:






















Yeah... mess. On the other hand, there are a lot of small moments in them that are OK (click to see originals... I left them a little bigger than usual). The brush pen is very strange: the handle is a flexible water well connected to the brush. You control the amount of ink that's flowing through the brush by controlling the amount of pressure you put on the handle. It took me a while to get the hang of it. Also, the paper in the moleskine was not very receptive - it kept giving me this weird waxy reaction - but that might have been oil from my hand transferring to the paper while I was doing the underlying pen work.

At any rate, with holiday travel coming up, it'll be good to have some new toys for airport and train station waiting. And it'll be good for me to have another way to keep my hand in wet media while finishing the charcoal drawings for the current book.

No comments: